Last week, I gave you a glimpse into the OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch I attended with my recap post.
Today, I’m going to share with you an in-depth look at OPI Hello Hawaii Ya?, which is a dusty purple I love from that collection! (It’s one of my top picks.)
(If you want to see quick swatches and bottle shots of the entire OPI Hawaii Collection, be sure to check out my Quick Look post.)
OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? is what I’d call an editorial version of purple because it’s slightly smoked out and isn’t like a typical one with an Easter vibe.
I also like this shade because of the name. It’s not the wittiest from OPI, but it reminds me of one of my friends. He always greets me with a big smile and says, “Hi! How are ya?” So when I saw this polish, I thought of him. And no, hehe, he’s not Hawaiian.
OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? Pictures
OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of OPI Hello Hawaii Ya?
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Dusky purple (Yes)
- Name: OPI Hello Hawaii Ya?
- Collection: OPI Hawaii Collection 2015
- Press Release & Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Hawaii Collection swatches, bottle shots & the official press release
- Media Launch Recap: I attended the exclusive OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch. Click here to read my recap post!
- Colours Available in the Collection: That’s Hula-rious!, My Gecko Does Tricks, Do You Take Lei Away?, Is Mai Tai Crooked?, Go with the Lava Flow, Aloha from OPI, Suzi Shops & Island Hops, Just Lanai-ing Around, Hello Hawaii Ya?, This Color’s Making Waves, Lost My Bikini in Molokini & Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR. It retails for $9.95 CAD.)
- Where to Buy: NailPolishCanada, Trade Secrets & select spas, salons & beauty-supply stores (The collection will officially be released on February 4, 2015.)
OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? Review
Before green nail polish waltzed into my life, my first love back in 2008 was purple lacquer! At that time, I had more purples than any other colour – probably three times as many.
Although now greens make my heart race, purple is a close second, and Hello Hawaii Ya? by OPI has a soft spot in this nailphile’s heart.
Instead of being bright like the kind of purple I associate with Easter eggs, OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? has a dusty quality. When I say “dusty”, I mean that in a good way. It’s muted, yet somehow it still packs a punch. It’s like a kitten with a roar.
Although this polish is not at all a dupe for OPI Parlez-vous OPI?, it brought back nostalgia for me when I first began seriously collection nail polish in 2008 (before I started this blog). That purple had a grey undertone that I fell in love with, and it was part of the La Collection de France that was the very first OPI collection responsible for turning me into a nail junkie.
Bold and bright shades are fun to sport, but dusty tones like OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? are a cool twist on colours we already love. They add a bit of edginess, and for me, a warm cup of nostalgia.
Creamy and smooth, Hello Hawaii Ya? by OPI is simple yet striking. There are no crazy effects. It’s a calm colour – as calm as a purple can be. And because it has a creme finish, it’s easy to remove. You won’t have to scrub your poor fingers red and raw.
Application & Formula
Applying this baby was a breeze. The formula was of average consistency – i.e. the “Goldilocks” formula, which is not too thin and not too thick. I could control the polish easily with my brush, and it didn’t run the risk of flooding my cuticles.
With just two coats, I got opaque coverage, so I didn’t feel the need to apply a third.
Final Verdict: 9.5/10
If you’re a purple fan, you’ll love this. If you enjoy wearing dusty colours, get this. And if you were like me and fell in love with the OPI La Collection de France back in 2008, maybe you’ll also feel nostalgic, too.
OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? is one of my top picks from the OPI Hawaii Collection. It has the excellent formula that OPI is known for, and I can imagine that the colour would be flattering on many different skin tones!
Does OPI Hello Hawaii Ya? make you feel nostalgic? What other colours in the OPI Hawaii Collection are you most looking forward to? Do you remember the OPI La Collection de France back in 2008?