OPI This Color’s Making Waves hails from the Hawaii Collection.
If there was such a thing as a mermaid robot, I feel like OPI This Color’s Making Waves would be Ariel VT4000!
It has a cool, futuristic feel with the teal that reminds me of a mermaid’s tail.
As if you couldn’t tell, this nail polish has a high shine with tons of shimmer. I feel like it could catch the light, even without a baseball glove and with its eyes blindfolded!
Like an enchanted pool, OPI This Color’s Making Waves beckoned me closer. Somehow, it ended up on my nails and it stayed there for a few days! 😉
OPI This Color’s Making Waves Pictures
OPI This Color’s Making Waves Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 3 coats of OPI This Color’s Making Waves
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Shimmery, lagoon blue (Yes)
- Name: OPI This Color’s Making Waves
- Collection: OPI Hawaii Collection 2015
- Press Release & Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Hawaii Collection swatches, bottle shots & the official press release
- Media Launch Recap: I attended the exclusive OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch. Click here to read my recap post!
- Colours Available in the Collection: That’s Hula-rious!, My Gecko Does Tricks, Do You Take Lei Away?, Is Mai Tai Crooked?, Go with the Lava Flow, Aloha from OPI, Suzi Shops & Island Hops, Just Lanai-ing Around, Hello Hawaii Ya?, This Color’s Making Waves, Lost My Bikini in Molokini & Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Retail Price: $9.95 CAD (I paid nothing, as this was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: NailPolishCanada, Trade Secrets & select spas, salons & beauty-supply stores (The collection was released on February 4th, but if you can’t find it yet, it should be trickling into stores very soon!)
OPI This Color’s Making Waves Review
At first glance, the teal steals your heart. But, just like with people, you can’t just get mesmerized by the outside. When you look closer, you can uncover some even more spectacular surprises!
Such was the case with This Color’s Making Waves by OPI. Upon closer inspection, I saw sparse gold shimmer that punctuated the polish like stars amidst a blackened sky.
It was so beautiful because an overall golden sheen has been done so many times before, but this was like little specks of gold, scattered throughout. It was just enough to be noticeable and contrast with the teal, yet it managed to blend in at times.
If your heart beats faster for twinkly nail polishes that dance on your nails to a fierce beat, This Color’s Making Waves by OPI will be a welcomed addition. It’s like a mermaid go-go dancer – it won’t stop until the sun goes down. And even then, in dim light, it reflects and shines brilliantly!
The shimmer is so lively, and no matter what position your fingers are in, your nails will do what Tyra Banks reminds aspiring models to do – ‘find the light’!
Application & Formula
At first, I thought that the polish was going to be very pigmented, so it was a surprise when the first coat went on sheer, and the formula was very watery. But, I don’t judge a nail polish just on the first coat. At two coats, the strong judgement comes into effect. By three, it had better have a good reason. At four, unless it’s spectacular, I tell it to please go home. At five or more, I try to book it a gig on a late-night comedy show. 😉
This Color’s Making Waves by OPI has buildable coverage, so while the first coat was sheer (and worried me), with a second coat, it covered exponentially better. But I still felt the need to put on a third coat to ensure that the coverage was even. Three coats is great, and you won’t need a fourth.
Since the formulation is watery, each coat is thin. (Be careful that it doesn’t drip and flood your cuticles by accident.) Also, because each coat is thin, you can’t glop on a thicker coat to speed up opacity. So, slow it down, Usain Bolt! Slow and steady wins the race with this lacquer.
Final Verdict: 8/10
The finished result of OPI This Color’s Making Waves is nothing short of spectacular! I love how dramatic the teal is combined with the shimmer, and the gold throughout is like the icing on top of an already-amazing cake.
The formula could’ve been more opaque, but I’ll forgive it since it’s buildable and this polish creates a stunning manicure!
What does this colour make you think of? What would you name a mermaid robot? If you could snap your fingers and travel anywhere in seconds, would it be Hawaii or somewhere else?