OPI Do You Take Lei Away? is from the Hawaii Collection that came out earlier this month.
This nail polish took me by surprise. Colours like this are hit or miss for me because I still haven’t figured out how to choose the most flattering ones. (Many times, these kind of shades look like Band-Aids on me.)
OPI Do You Take Lei Away? is very different – I found it complementary on my skin tone! It doesn’t make my fingers look washed out like a corpse bride. And the lovely shine keeps it from looking flat and blah.
If you usually shy away from neutrals like this and your skin tone is around the same as mine, I urge you to give this one a shot. It might just pleasantly surprise you, too!
OPI Do You Take Lei Away? Pictures
OPI Do You Take Lei Away? Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of OPI Do You Take Lei Away?
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Creamy nude (Yes)
- Name: OPI Do You Take Lei Away?
- Collection: OPI Hawaii Collection 2015
- Press Release & Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Hawaii Collection swatches, bottle shots & the official press release
- Media Launch Recap: I attended the exclusive OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch. Click here to read my recap post!
- Colours Available in the Collection: That’s Hula-rious!, My Gecko Does Tricks, Do You Take Lei Away?, Is Mai Tai Crooked?, Go with the Lava Flow, Aloha from OPI, Suzi Shops & Island Hops, Just Lanai-ing Around, Hello Hawaii Ya?, This Color’s Making Waves, Lost My Bikini in Molokini & Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Retail Price: $9.95 CAD (I paid nothing, as this was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: NailPolishCanada, Trade Secrets & select spas, salons & beauty-supply stores (The collection was released on February 4th, but if you can’t find it yet, it should be trickling into stores very soon!)
OPI Do You Take Lei Away? Review
Do You Take Lei Away? by OPI is a beige that I think looks more flattering on skin tones similar to mine that has a yellow undertone. (If you have any pink to your skin, I think that it could clash pretty badly.)
That’s the thing about these nude nail polishes. It’s like finding the right foundation shade, except for your fingers. (Actually, the funny thing is that I never seem to have any trouble finding my exact foundation shade, but I’m pretty stumped when it comes to finding a nude lacquer.)
Smooth and creamy, Do You Take Lei Away? by OPI has a great, shiny finish that looks glass-like! I really loved how the finish adds life to a colour that can easily appear dead.
Application & Formula
When I sat down to paint my nails, I was expecting to use three or more coats, but I only needed two coats to achieve the opacity you see in the photos above. It covered nicely, and I didn’t see any visible nail line. Wonderful formula that’s easy and smooth to paint with! This is definitely one of OPI’s better formulas.
Final Verdict: 8.5/10
This is probably the highest score that I’ve ever given a beige/nude nail polish! It really impressed me, and while a lot of people will find this polish tame or yawn-worthy, I found it exciting because I rarely get to see my nails decked out in this subdued colour. I like it a lot…hehe, but no, not more than greens, blues, purples, etc. 😉
What is your ‘trick’ to finding flattering nude nail polish? Do you find it easier to match your foundation than to find a flattering nude nail polish? Which are your favourites from the OPI Hawaii Collection?