OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too! from the Hawaii Collection is the nail polish that I’ve been curious to try because it’s so different from anything I’ve ever seen from OPI.
It’s certainly weird. And okay, maybe pineapples have ‘peelings’ (hehe, feelings), but my reviews are always honest. I won’t spare the poor pineapple’s feelings.
Remember how I said before how I tend to wear nail polish for at least a day? Well this is the very first lacquer that broke my rule!
Sadly, right after I painted my manicure and took photos, I just couldn’t wear this in public. It was so chunky-looking, and I strongly disliked the way it looked.
The combination of the brushstroke-y gold base with the multicoloured glitter missed the mark in a big way, and parts of the polish pooled in weird areas on my nails, which made them look warped.
Read the rest of my detailed review with lots of swatches to see why OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too! didn’t pull at my heartstrings. It wasn’t love at first sight. It was “hand me the remover – STAT!” at first sight, unfortunately.
I recommend that you save your money for other polishes. Unless you’re a die-hard fan who needs to own the complete OPI Hawaii Collection, you won’t miss not having this one in your stash.
OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too! Pictures
OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too! Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 3 coats of OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
Claim: TRUSTED, but Product: BUSTED!
- Gold shimmer with colourful sparkle (Yes)
- Name: OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Collection: OPI Hawaii Collection 2015
- Press Release & Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Hawaii Collection swatches, bottle shots & the official press release
- Media Launch Recap: I attended the exclusive OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch. Click here to read my recap post!
- Colours Available in the Collection: That’s Hula-rious!, My Gecko Does Tricks, Do You Take Lei Away?, Is Mai Tai Crooked?, Go with the Lava Flow, Aloha from OPI, Suzi Shops & Island Hops, Just Lanai-ing Around, Hello Hawaii Ya?, This Color’s Making Waves, Lost My Bikini in Molokini & Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Retail Price: $9.95 CAD (I paid nothing, as this was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: NailPolishCanada, Trade Secrets & select spas, salons & beauty-supply stores (The collection was released on February 4th, but if you can’t find it yet, it should be trickling into stores very soon!)
OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too! Review
The regal gold of this one had the potential to be amazing combined with the multicoloured glitter. In the bottle, it looked like a wild carnival of colour, and I was so excited to try it to see how it’d translate onto my nails. Plus it was so unlike anything else in the OPI Hawaii Collection, so I had high hopes for it!
Pineapples Have Peelings Too! by OPI is really odd. The gold base is shimmery and extremely streaky, so you can see visible brushstrokes.
Then, you have the chunky glitter. There are large hexagons, medium ones, and very small glitter, all mixed together. This leaves the finish not only looking chunky, but they create some texture.
Application & Formula
This is the part that really stumped me.
I could overlook the odd colour combination, if it had a winning formula, but this applied terribly!
Since the gold base was sheer, I had to use a minimum of three coats to fully cover my nail line! The formula was thin, so even if you wanted to slap on a medium coat to reach opacity quicker, you can’t really do that. Plus I could see brushstrokes. (Sometimes, I tolerate visible brushstrokes if the resulting manicure is spectacular.)
The glitter in Pineapples Have Peelings Too! by OPI get partially covered up by the gold base, which is a bummer. It’s like they wanted to shine, but the polish put them into a blender and told them to be quiet. As you know, I like my nail polishes to be loud. Stop shushing them! 😉
Final Verdict: 1/10
The result is very confusing to me. I’m not afraid of wearing ‘weird’ manicures, but this one went beyond that – it dived into the territory of embarrassment, which has never happened to me before!
I didn’t want to go out in public with this on. I didn’t want to look at it on my nails for another minute. And unless lightning strikes me, I can’t see myself reaching for this polish ever again.
It’s cool to look at in the bottle, but I think it’s a total disaster as a manicure.
Save your money. As you can easily see from my other in-depth reviews, there are plenty of other gorgeous shades in the collection that are worth your hard-earned money instead!
What do you think of OPI Pineapples Have Peelings Too!? What nail polish have you painted your nails with and removed it right after?