Nail polish and I are BFFs. So when a lacquer told me the other day that it wanted to spend some time apart and see what it was like to be on someone else’s nails, needless to say, I felt a little hurt.
But, since I’m not one to restrain the freedom of another, I let OPI Give Me Space from the Starlight Collection wander off and explore new territory. This was not before I prepared it a hearty breakfast and packed it an extra sweater (in case it got chilly) and a new bottle of top coat (in case the journey was long).
A few days later, to my great joy, I looked up and saw it skipping happily towards me! It came back, kissed my nails, and told me that there’s no place like Helmer home!
After hugging it long and hard, I promised it a special feature on the blog, so here is my detailed review of OPI Give Me Space! 😉
OPI Give Me Space Pictures
OPI Give Me Space Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener – Maintenance version (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of OPI Give Me Space
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Artificial Light Photos
Natural Light Photos
- Night-sky blue (Yes)
- Name: OPI Give Me Space
- Collection: OPI Starlight Collection 2015
- Press Release: Click here to see the official OPI Starlight Collection press release and promo pictures!
- Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Starlight Collection preview!
- Colours Available in the Collection: Love Is In My Cards, Romance on the Moon, Guys & Galaxies, I’m in the Moon for Love, Cosmo with a Twist, Give Me Space, The Center of the Youniverse, Superstar Status, I Drive a Supernova, By the Light of the Moon, Comet Closer, Is This Star Taken, Infraredy to Glow, Let Your Love Shine, Celestial Is More, Press for Silver, Two Wrongs Don’t Make a Meteorite & No More Mr. Night Sky
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Retail Price: $9.95 CAD
- Disclosure: This was provided as a press sample by PR.
- Where to Buy: Trade Secrets, Nail Polish Canada, Hudson’s Bay & select beauty destinations
OPI Give Me Space Review
Give Me Space by OPI is a medium, rich, sapphire blue at the heart. It very much resembles a night sky, and it’s the kind of blue that won’t get mistaken for appearing black (even in dim light).
I find these kind of blues to be very flattering on a wide range of skin tones, as it’s a saturated jewel tone.
Just as the stars light up the sky at night, the sparkle in this polish liven up the blue. Coupled with a splash of holographic glitter, Give Me Space by OPI has a vibrant personality that becomes apparent when you move your fingers and glitter reflects the light.
Even though there’s glitter, the finish is smooth, even before you apply a glossy top coat. No scratchy nails with this one!
There seems to be a slight creme-jelly quality about this because the glitter peeks through the blue base. Rather than looking flat with the glitter sitting on top, there’s so much dimension with this nail polish that adds to its beauty.
Application & Formula
The formula of this was excellent, as each coat seemed to apply itself! I was so happy to see how smooth it was, and I only needed to use two easy coats to get full coverage and the intensity you see in my photos.
OPI Give Me Space vs. Essie Starry Starry Night
Both are gorgeous blue sparkly nail polishes that I recommend, however, they are very different and not dupes.
OPI Essie Starry Starry night has silver glitter, and each piece of glitter is larger. On the other hand, OPI Give Me Space has delicate glitter and more of it. Plus the OPI has holographic sparkle that’s not present in the Essie.
(If you want to compare them for yourself, you may find my previous in-depth review of Essie Starry Starry Night helpful. Click the link to read my thoughts about it and to see lots of swatches. Note: I reviewed the relaunched version, not the original one from the 1990s.)
Final Verdict: 10/10
OPI Give Me Space is a stunning nail polish that I wanted to wear back-to-back. (If I wasn’t a nail blogger with so many untried polishes, I would keep wearing this one until I got sick of it!)
Especially if you’re a blue nail-polish lover, you’ll be thrilled to have this one in your collection. And if you like sparkly, saturated nails, this one’s a wonderful one to wear!
Do you prefer OPI Give Me Space or Essie Starry Starry Night? What was the first nail polish you wore in January? Have you made any New Year’s resolutions?