Not long ago, I did an Eye of the Day look (“Clown Eyes“). I used all the colours in this NYX Eyeshadow Trio Team Spirit palette as well as a couple of other hues.
I was pleased with the end result, especially since it was a personal challenge to venture outside my comfort zone of dark, smokey-eye looks.
While I’m not going to be shifting gears to super-colourful looks regularly just yet, it has revived my desire to play around with shadows and to experiment with combinations that I previously thought would be hard to sport in a single look.
Let me tell you some specifics of each colour and how they fared as I wore them throughout the day and into the night.
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Team Spirit Pictures
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Team Spirit Ingredients
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Team Spirit Swatches
Eye of the Day (“Clown Eyes”) I Did Using This Palette
(Click here to see more photos of this eye look!)
Claims: OK, but Product: BUSTED!
- √ Hypoallergenic
X Provides dramatic color
- Name: NYX Eyeshadow Trio Team Spirit
- Amount: 3 eye shadows (3.9 grams total)
- What I Paid: $5.99 USD
- NYX Eyeshadow Trios Available: Perpetual, Copacabana, Olive Grove, Lake Moss, Team Spirit, Ultra Chic, Ceramic, Shangra-La, Dandy, Aquamarine, Anti Diva, Casablanca, Guru, Serangeti, Hippie Chic, White/Grey/Black, Baby Pink/Barely There/Cotton Candy, Nude/Taupe/Dark Brown, Baby Blue/October Sky/Pacific, Baby Pink/Cotton Candy/Spring Flower, Purple/Deep Purple/Prune, Baby Blue/Pacific/Navy, Spring Leaf/Lime Green/Green Tea, Frosted Lilac/Pacific/Kiwi, Tropical/Yellow/Lime Green, Orange/Golden Orange/Peach, Gold/Rust/Walnut Bronze, Cherry/Cool Blue/Hot Pink, Highlight/Brown/Suede, Aloha/Mink Brown/Deep Bronze, Opal/Platinum Silver/Luster, Frosted Flake/Slate/Iced Mocha, Yellow Pearl/Antique Gold/Golden, Barely There/Champagne/Root Beer, White Pearl/Silver/Charcoal, Copper/Rust/Bronze, Sahara/Suede/Chocolate, Sweet Lagoon/Aqua/Ocean, Shimmer/Peach/Copper, Beanie/Red Bronze/Red Bean, Velvet Blue/Ocean Frost/Space, Platinum Pink/Salmon/Jazzy Bronze, Princess Pink/Flamenco/Violet, White/Tropical/Silver, Baby Pink/White Pearl/Baby Blue
- Where to Buy: NYX Canada website, Rexall, some Save on Foods, some US drugstores & Cherry Culture
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Team Spirit Review
Each colour in the Team Spirit NYX trio doesn’t have an individual name, so for this review, I’ll just call them Blue, Yellow, and Pink to keep it simple and straight-forward.
- Blue: Cornflower blue
- Yellow: Medium gold-yellow
- Pink: Cotton-candy pink with a tinge of purple
These colours definitely seem very peppy to me, and I could see them on a cheerleader. The palette’s name, Team Spirit, suits it very well.
Compared to the way they look in the pan, these all apply much paler than expected. If you don’t use an eye primer or you want shadows that don’t require one, you’re better off skipping this. They only show up with a primer, but they’re still very light.
The yellow showed up the best and catches the light very nicely. I thought it highlighted the inner tear duct area and inner third/half of the lid well.
The pink can look a bit purple sometimes and has a bit of a sheen. I was intimidated by the pink the most because sometimes with a really pigmented pink, you can look like you have Pink Eye! This pink, however, is sheer enough to look soft and pretty instead of sickly.
The blue was the most disappointing of the bunch, which is too bad because I was most looking forward to it. The pigmentation is extremely light even with a primer underneath. It also looked chalky compared to the other two.
In my hand swatches, the colours may look strong, but I found with this palette, when I blended out the colours even slightly with a fluffy brush, it muted them significantly. It seems that the colour pay-off was a whole different story on the lid than on my hand.
After about 4-5 hours, I found that all of these colours faded really fast! The colourful look wound up being extremely muted. Very disappointing, and I even used a good eye primer as usual!
How Can I Make The Colours Last Longer?
If you’re really set on making this palette work, you could use a colourful eye shadow base to ramp up the colour. I would suggest the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils. (See my swatches and reviews here and some more here.) But even if you do, you must use an eye primer under everything because the Jumbo Pencils will crease like crazy if you don’t.
Yes, Team Spirit is a very affordable NYX eye-shadow trio. You get to try out 3 colours without gouging your wallet. But…in my opinion, that is overshadowed by the fact that the pigmentation is weak and the colours fade even further over time regardless if you use a primer. For this reason, I was unhappy with this purchase and, so, this product is “BUSTED” on Swatch And Learn!
NYX Cosmetics is a cruelty-free brand.
Final Verdict: 5.5/10
I was so excited about this palette, but it left a lot to be desired. I can’t recommend Team Spirit to you in good conscience. Move aside, cheerleaders, because when it comes to this palette, unfortunately I’m the cheerless leader. Rah rah rah becomes blah blah blah!
Have you ever worn blue, pink, and yellow in a single eye look? What’s the most number of colours you’ve ever rocked all at once? Did an eye shadow ever let you down big time?