Music has always been a huge part of my life. I use it for emotional support – crazy beats pump me up and dainty, mellow tunes calm my spirit.
Some people have a certain genre that speaks to them, but I enjoy a crazy diversity. Truly!
I have everything from L’il Wayne and Adele to Fiona Apple and Mazzy Star on my iPod. And there’s a sprinkling of Etta James, Mariah Carey, Ne-Yo, Bob Marley, and The Flaming Lips.
Basically, if a song moves me, I’ll listen to it, regardless of what genre it’s from.
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with Lana Del Rey.
If you haven’t heard of her, you need to give her album a spin. She has a sultry sound with a vulnerability that I find so attractive. Her phrasing of lyrics, old-school throwback voice, and intoxicating melodies really hooked me.
These are some of my favourite songs from her.
(Click on the links to watch the music video in a separate window. Oh, and if you’re sensitive to mild ‘mature content’ like sexuality, offensive language, and drug usage, maybe avoid clicking.)
- Born to Die – I know that this sounds really depressing, but I think the song is romantic and sexy even though it is sad. I’m a sucker for melancholic songs like this. They make me want to sip on some wine.
- Video Games - This was the first song that introduced me to Lana Del Rey. I identified with some of the emotions expressed in this song, so it holds strong sentimental value for me. It’s soft and beautiful!
- Off To the Races - At the 36-second mark, that’s when I really get into the song. Love the flavour. (Just audio for this one.)
- Blue Jeans - This song’s really simple, but it’s very catchy.
- Dark Paradise - Her voice just meshes so perfectly with the dark beat in the background. (Just audio for this one.)
- Yayo - This quiet, slow song showcases the sweet vulnerability in her voice without bells and whistles. I absolutely adore this one – it’s so sexy! (Just audio for this one.)
What artists have you recently fallen in love with? What kind of music have you been spinning?