Lasagne is one of my favourite things to eat. Not only is it loaded with cheese, but there are tons of vegetables.
I used to be a vegetarian for about 4 years, and this was my favourite dish to make. Even when my meat-eating friends tried this, they actually said it was the best lasagne they ever ate! I always get compliments on it, so it’s a winner.
Originally I got the recipe from a book, but over the years, I’ve changed the recipe so much that it truly has become my own and doesn’t resemble the original very much!
For today’s Smorgasbord Sundays post, I’ll share my recipe with you as well as a step-by-step tutorial including photos in case you want to try making this. (If you do, please let me know how yours turns out!)
- 2 Zucchinis
- 1 small/medium Eggplant
- 3-4 Bell Peppers (I like to use a variety of colours.)
- 3-4 Tomatoes (I prefer the ones on the vine.)
- Thyme (I never measure this. Just use as much as you prefer to taste.)
- Garlic (3-4 cloves or 1.5 tsp. of the powdered kind)
- 4 tbsp. or so of Olive Oil
- Salt (to taste – I suggest using just a pinch)
- Chili Powder (to taste)
- Lasagne sheets (I use the oven-ready ones so I don’t have to bother boiling them.)
- 1 large brick of mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan (You’ll sprinkle this between layers.)
- 1 jar of your favourite spaghetti sauce
- Large baking dish
- Large pot
- Large bowl (to hold chopped veggies)
- Small bowl (to hold chopped tomatoes)
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- Leeks cut into strips
Instructions for How to Make Vegetarian Lasagne
Step 1: Chop the Veggies
This is the part of the recipe that takes the most time. There are soooo many vegetables!
After you chop each vegetable, place it in your large bowl. But, for the tomatoes, place them in your small bowl.
Chop the garlic, and set it aside somewhere.
Step 2: Heat Olive Oil in Large Pot
Step 3: Saute the Veggies (Except the Tomatoes) for a Few Minutes on Medium Heat
Step 4: Add Thyme, Garlic & Tomatoes
Step 5: Season with Salt and Chili
Step 6: Let Simmer Uncovered for 15 Minutes
Step 7: Slice the Mozzarella
Step 8: Preheat Oven to 350 F
Step 9: Get Your Large Baking Dish Ready
Normally I use my Pyrex glass dish, but I left it at my mom’s place. So I had to buy a disposable roasting pan.
Step 10: Start Layering
This is the order I use: Spaghetti sauce, lasagne sheet, veggies, mozzarella, and Parmesan. (Repeat until you use up all the ingredients.)
Step 11: Bake in the Oven for About 45 Minutes
- Makes about 8 big servings.
- It’s best if your top layer is of veggies so everything’s moist. If you wind up with the lasagne sheet on top, make sure you cover it with spaghetti sauce and some olive oil or cheese to avoid it being hard (this is of course if you’ve used the oven-ready lasagne sheets like I do).
Hope you’ll try this recipe. It’s so delicious, and you really don’t miss the meat at all!
What’s your favourite dish to make? Do you have any tips or tricks for making lasagne? What websites do you turn to for recipes?