The moment I saw Orly Halley’s Comet in the bottle, I knew it would be amazing. A vivid turquoise-blue polish with foil flakes can do no wrong in my beauty book.
It steals the spotlight in even low lighting, and it sparkles wildly in the sun. Sometimes it looks lit-from-within and other times it’s a fiesta dancing on your nails.
Clearly, this is a fun manicure that I really enjoyed wearing – it was one of my favorites from the Orly Cosmic FX Collection.
Let me tell you more about this mesmerizing color, show you some swatches, and share my experience with the nail-polish formula. I’ll also compare it to OPI Catch Me In Your Net.
Orly Halley’s Comet Swatches & Pictures
- Name: Orly Halley’s Comet
- Collection: Orly Cosmic FX
- Colors in Collection: Space Cadet, It’s Not Rocket Science, Lunar Eclipse, Halley’s Comet, Galaxy Girl & Out of This World
- Amount: 18mL
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was sent to me for honest review)
- Where to Buy: Sally Beauty Supply, Orly, Trans Design & Head2Toe
Orly Halley’s Comet Review
When I look at Halley’s Comet from Orly’s Cosmic FX Collection, I immediately think of a beautiful mermaid or the way the ocean would be described in some science-fiction book.
This color will seriously take your breath away because it looks turquoise, but at times more of the vibrant blue will shine through.
And don’t forget about the foil flakes – there are all these densely-packed different-sized flakes. What’s so special about that? They reflect the light and make your nails sparkle like magical precious gems.
If you apply a thick coat, you can get pretty good coverage. (I applied two coats because I liked the way it looked better.) The formula is thin and watery, but it’s not hard to control at all and it dries fairly quickly.
Plus even though there are flakey pieces, you won’t get that gritty texture – it’s smooth even without a top coat and dries fairly shiny. (I recommend always using a top coat, however, to extend your manicure mileage and to enhance the color.)
And in case you’re wondering, here’s what I wore under and over the nail polish:
- 1 coat of Nail Tek Foundation III (Ridge-filling Base Coat)
- 1 coat of Creative Stickey (Base Coat)
- 1 coat of Diamont Seal & Shine Topcoat
Orly Halley’s Comet & OPI Catch Me In Your Net Comparison
You may have heard that Zoya Charla and OPI Catch Me In Your Net are dead-on Orly Halley’s Comet dupes. I own and wore OPI and Orly, so I can only confirm those two. They’re exactly the same color, and they’re both limited-edition so if you want them, better grab them before it’s too late!
What are the differences between OPI Catch Me In Your Net & Orly Halley’s Comet?
- Formula - Orly is a touch runnier (but both Orly & OPI dry & wear the same)
- Brush - Orly has a narrow brush while OPI has their famous Pro-Wide brush (Depending on the size of your nail beds, you may favor one over the other)
- Amount - Orly bottles have 18mL of product & OPI has 15mL
- Retail Price - Orly is $10 USD & OPI is $8-$9 USD
Now for a little game. Guess which is Orly Halley’s Comet and which is OPI Catch Me In Your Net:
Even if you squint, look at them in the sunlight, or apply more than 2 coats of polish, it’s impossible to tell them apart. OPI Catch Me In Your Net is on the left and Orly Halley’s Comet is on the right.
Final Verdict: 10/10
This is a must-have color in my huge nail-polish collection. Run, don’t walk, to get this limited-edition hotcake! You’ll not be able to take your eyes off your nails when you wear it. However, if you already own OPI Catch Me In Your Net, you can totally skip this one as they are exact dupes.
I’ve reviewed and swatched all 6 colors from the Orly Cosmic FX Collection. Check them out and let me know which ones you like the most!