Several weeks ago when the weather started getting cooler and my cuticles got drier, I sported Essie Frock ‘n Roll from the Fall 2015 Collection.
Described in Essie’s official press release, Frock ‘n Roll is a shimmery espresso. That’s spot on because it’s a dark and brooding shade that has subtle sparkle.
In the bottle, it looks like a ‘frock star,’ but on the nails, it’s more like an edgy socialite.
Essie Frock ‘n Roll Pictures
Essie Frock ‘n Roll Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener – Maintenance version (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of Essie Frock ‘n Roll
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Artificial Light Photos
Natural Light Photos
- Shimmering espresso (Yes)
- Name: Essie Frock ‘n Roll
- Collection: Essie Fall 2015 Collection
- Press Release: Click here to see the official Essie Fall 2015 Collection press release!
- Quick Look: Click here to see my Quick Look post on the Essie Fall 2015 Collection!
- Colours Available in the Collection: Color Binge, Leggy Legend, Frock n’ Roll, With the Band, In the Lobby & Bell-Bottom Blues
- Amount: 13.5 mL (0.46 oz)
- Retail Price: $9.99 CAD
- Disclosure: This was provided as a press sample by PR.
- Where to Buy: Nail Polish Canada, Trade Secrets, drugstores, salons & beauty-supply stores
Essie Frock ‘n Roll Review
Frock ‘n Roll by Essie is a dark espresso that creates vampy nails suitable for the autumn or winter months…or just when you’re craving something rich and fierce.
In the bottle, the silver shimmer looks fairly prominent, but on the nails, it takes a backseat.
I wasn’t expecting this dramatic discrepancy, and I was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, the overall look is still gorgeous and edgy like a night sky up north with a few faint stars in the distance.
If you’re looking for a great Hallowe’en shade to use by itself or as a base for some spooky nail art, this will fit the bill.
The base has a creamy consistency, and there’s small, subtle shimmer sprinkled throughout like a staccato.
Application & Formula
To completely cover my nails, it only took two coats because the formula was very pigmented. It also glided on easily with little effort, and I didn’t have to work hard to get it to apply evenly.
Final Verdict: 7/10
I subtracted several points from the total Final Verdict score because I really wanted the shimmer to show up more on my nails like it did in the bottle. Other than that, I was really pleased with Frock ‘n Roll by Essie because it’s pigmented and smooth – so easy to apply!
If you want a dark manicure that is a twist on your typical black nails, this is a great choice that is also pretty easy to get hold of.
Have you decided what you’ll be wearing on your nails for Hallowe’en? Do you celebrate Hallowe’en? If so, what are some of your traditions? If not, do you get dressed up for other holidays?