Today’s short post includes some Facts About Christmas collected from various sources since my childhood.
As December 25th continues to creep up on us, I thought it was very appropriate. 🙂
- Christmas means “Christ’s Mass”
- The “x” in Xmas is the Greek letter chi, which is the first letter of Christ’s name in Greek (Χριστός)
- Santa Claus is based on Saint Nicholas, a Church Bishop who was born in Turkey
- Saint Francis is said to have invented the nativity set in the 13th century
- Tom Smith invented Christmas crackers in 1847
- Pine needles are rich in Vitamin C
- Originally, Christmas pudding consisted of soup made with raisins and wine
- Almost 1.5 billion cards are sent every Christmas, according to Hallmark
Did you know any of these? Can you share any other interesting Christmas facts you’ve heard?