OPI Underneath the Mistletoe from the Mariah Carey Holiday Collection was the colour I was the most excited to try from the set. It didn’t disappoint!
There’s a depth to this polish that doesn’t quite translate as well in photographs, but it’s clearly evident in real life.
The red base is translucent, which allows the glitter to peek through in a way that’s like looking into water and seeing something shiny sparkling at you.
If there’s just one nail polish from the Mariah Carey Holiday Collection, I highly recommend you get OPI Underneath the Mistletoe!
You know what? I’ve never kissed anyone under the mistletoe, mainly because nobody I know actually follows the tradition of hanging it.
When I was in elementary school, one of my friends’ parents used to put mistletoe in their hallway, and when they invited me over for a party, I tried to convince my friend to invite the cute guy in class. (I had not-so-secret plans to get him to stand under the mistletoe while I was there. Hehe, but she was too shy to invite him, so my kiss at that party never happened.)
I think that hanging mistletoe is such a romantic tradition, don’t you?
OPI Underneath the Mistletoe Pictures
OPI Underneath the Mistletoe Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of OPI Underneath the Mistletoe
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Candy apple red (Yes, but I think it’s even more exciting than that description!)
- Name: OPI Underneath the MIstletoe
- Collection: OPI Mariah Carey Collection for Holiday 2013
- Press Release: Click here to see the OPI Mariah Carey Collection for Holiday 2013 press release
- Colours Available in the Collection: Visions of Love, My Favorite Ornament, All I Want for Christmas (Is OPI), Cute Little Vixen, Underneath the Mistletoe, In My Santa Suit, Warm Me Up, Wonderous Star, All Sparkly and Gold, Sleigh Ride for Two, Ski Slope Sweetie, I Snow You Love Me, Silent Stars Go By, Baby Please Come Home, Make Him Mine, It’s Frosty Outside, Emotions & Kiss Me at Midnight
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: Trade Secrets & select spa, salon & beauty-supply stores
OPI Underneath the Mistletoe Review
Underneath the Mistletoe by OPI is a deeper red than your typical Christmasy Santa kind. It seriously looks so stunning on your nails and more elegant than a bright red.
The fun twist comes with the jelly finish. It’s so gorgeous, and it allows the glitter to shine through in such a beautiful way.
The glitter is actually silver, but the translucence of the red polish makes the glitter appear like a light red that twinkles and contrasts against the base.
Application & Formula
Applying Underneath the Mistletoe by OPI went on easily, and I just needed 2 coats to get the coverage I wanted.
Sometimes, polishes that have a jelly finish tend to really shrink when you use a fast-drying top coat. But, since the glitter acted almost like ‘anchors’,I found that there wasn’t as much shrinkage as I was expecting.
This manicure wore like iron on me – no tip wear in several days. I was really impressed!
The pieces of glitter tend to hold onto your nail for dear life, but if you’re using an acetone-based nail-polish remover and you don’t mind scrubbing a little, they come off fairly easy. You don’t need to scrub hard, but it’s obviously not as easy to remove as a creme polish.
Final Verdict: 10/10
I loved this nail polish so much when I wore it that I’m considering wearing this for my Christmas manicure. We’ll see! 😉 It has the holiday spirit without being a Santa-Claus red, so it’s more interesting to me.
What will you be wearing for your Christmas manicure? Do you hang mistletoe during the holidays? Have you ever kissed someone under the mistletoe?