OPI That’s Hula-rious! from the Hawaii Collection out in February is like a mojito for your nails! (If you missed it, be sure to check out my recap post on the OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch I attended.)
This mint green has a cool tone, but it’s a shade that can easily go with any season. (It can remind you of the cold winters or the rejuvenating springs.)
It also makes me think of mint ice cream. (Little fact: That’s one of my mom’s favourite ice-cream flavours, and it’s my least-favourite one.)
And it’s not like I go to a lot of baby showers, but when I saw OPI That’s Hula-rious!, baby showers immediately sprung to mind like a tiger on a trampoline that had too much coffee to drink. (Hmm, who has been feeding the tiger coffee? Another question for another time!) 😉
The reason why I think this would be great for a baby shower is because it’s modern. Instead of using gender-stereotypical colours like pink for girls and blue for boys, pastel green or sunshine yellow is the way to go.
OPI That’s Hula-rious! Pictures
OPI That’s Hula-rious! Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 3 coats of OPI That’s Hula-rious!
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Pastel mint green (Yes)
- Name: OPI That’s Hula-rious!
- Collection: OPI Hawaii Collection 2015
- Press Release & Quick Look: Click here to see my OPI Hawaii Collection swatches, bottle shots & the official press release
- Media Launch Recap: I attended the exclusive OPI Hawaii Collection Media Launch. Click here to read my recap post!
- Colours Available in the Collection: That’s Hula-rious!, My Gecko Does Tricks, Do You Take Lei Away?, Is Mai Tai Crooked?, Go with the Lava Flow, Aloha from OPI, Suzi Shops & Island Hops, Just Lanai-ing Around, Hello Hawaii Ya?, This Color’s Making Waves, Lost My Bikini in Molokini & Pineapples Have Peelings Too!
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR. It retails for $9.95 CAD.)
- Where to Buy: NailPolishCanada, Trade Secrets & select spas, salons & beauty-supply stores (The collection will officially be released on February 4, 2015.)
OPI That’s Hula-rious! Review
That’s Hula-rious! by OPI is a pale mint green that has the tendency to create the dreaded ‘Lobster Hands Effect’ – i.e. It can sometimes draw out the red in your skin in contrast with the green.
I love how this mint green is cool and fresh. It’s on the verge of being stark, but somehow, it tip-toes on the line with a hint of softness.
Yup – the OPI Hawaii Collection has another creme! It’s simple and classic – no-nonsense. You’ll appreciate how it’s easy to remove and is low-maintenance.
Application & Formula
A lot of minty green nail polishes are streaky, and unfortunately, That’s Hula-rious! by OPI is no exception.
With one coat, it was so streaky. A second coat helped a lot, but the third layer evened everything out completely. (If you want full opacity with this one, I highly recommend you use three coats. Anything less and you’ll see some subtle bald patches.)
The consistency of the polish wasn’t difficult to work with. It wasn’t too watery or too thick. Just make sure you don’t overload your brush, and you’ll be fine.
Final Verdict: 7.5/10
You may be surprised that I rated a green lower than an 8 out of 10! (Somebody, check my pulse!) 😉
That’s Hula-rious! by OPI is pretty, and it makes your nails look clean and fresh. (I think it would look wonderful stamped over with an Aztec pattern!)
How often do you wear mint-green nail polish? What’s your favourite ice-cream flavour? Do you wear minty shades more in the winter or the summer?