You may remember that back in March when I met Suzi Weiss-Fischmann a second time at a special OPI launch event,
OPI Alcatraz…Rocks was the polish I drooled over.
It features the amazing Liquid Sand finish, and out of all the polishes from the OPI San Francisco Collection due out in August, this is my favourite!
My photos don’t quite convey the true beauty of this polish, so I urge you to check it out in person. I wasn’t able to capture the multicoloured glitter that’s very obvious in real life. And, trust me, those really bring a magical quality to this Liquid Sand!
OPI Alcatraz…Rocks Pictures
OPI Alcatraz…Rocks Swatches
All swatches have:
- Essie First Base (Base Coat)
- 2 coats of OPI Alcatraz…Rocks
- No top coat!
Natural Light Photos
Claim: BUSTED, but Product: TRUSTED
- Textured gray (No – I thought it looked more blue than gray. Regardless, it’s a very beautiful polish!)
- Name: OPI Alcatraz…Rocks
- Collection: OPI San Francisco Collection Fall/Winter 2013
- Press Release: Click here to see the OPI San Francisco Collection press release & quick swatches of all the shades
- Colours Available in the Collection: A-Piers to Be Tan, Dining al Frisco, Haven’t the Foggiest, Peace & Love & OPI, Keeping Suzi at Bay, Incognito in Sausalito, Lost on Lombard, I Knead Sour-Dough, Muir Muir on the Wall, In the Cable Car-Pool Lane, Embarca-Dare Ya!, First Date at the Golden Gate, It’s All San Andreas’s Fault (Liquid Sand), Wharf! Wharf! Wharf! (Liquid Sand) & Alcatraz…Rocks (Liquid Sand)
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: Trade Secrets & select beauty-supply stores, spas & salons (Available in August)
OPI Alcatraz…Rocks Review
The base of OPI Alcatraz…Rocks is a navy blue. But what really makes this polish killer is the glitter. There’s so much of it, and I felt like all the glitter colours mesh together – no stars among them.
I was able to see green, purple, and some gold. There might be more, but I’d have to take a magnifying glass to my nails…haha!
The multicolour glitter really looks like a party on your nails, and it’s really interesting because indoors, it looks more subdued, but then if you see it in the sunlight or under a really bright light, that’s when you’ll take note of truly how complex this Liquid Sand is. (Definitely it’s in my Top 3 OPI Liquid Sands – the others are Get Your Number and Jinx.)
Alcatraz…Rocks by OPI has a Liquid Sand finish. If you’ve never tried this gritty polish before, you must! It’s a neat nail trend.
It’s gritty enough so you notice the texture (which is much like a rock), but it’s not scratchy or sharp.
You could add a clear top coat to bring out the glitter more, but keep in mind that if you do so, be prepared to apply more than one layer of top coat. This polish eats top coat like it’s been starving!
Application & Formula
Like any other Liquid Sand nail polish, OPI Alcatraz…Rocks was no exception – I found it easy to apply. Plus I absolutely love how quickly it dries. You don’t have to wait long at all, and it’s dry enough so you can confidently even run your fingers through your hair!
The Liquid Sand formula is also very durable. I find that it resists chips. I can really attest to that because I have a full-time job where I’m constantly typing on the computer all day long.
Final Verdict: 10/10
If you’re looking to try just one nail polish from the upcoming OPI San Francisco Collection and you’re a fan of the textured nail trend, I highly suggest that you give OPI Alcatraz…Rocks a whirl! (And if you do, please let me know what you think after you try it!)
Which is your favourite OPI Liquid Sand nail polish so far? If you could design your own Liquid Sand, what would it look like?