** This post was written by Fiona. She no longer blogs for Swatch And Learn. However, Mary still continues to blog and will be happy to reply to your comment. **
Eyeliner – I never leave home without wearing it. My eyes look tired if I don’t! That’s why I’ve made it a mission to build a wide collection of pencils, liquids and lining shadows to match whichever mood I’m in.
One of the colors I frequently turn to for lining my eyes is blue. I think it’s soooo pretty against brown eyes. So when I saw NYX Slim Eye Pencil Sapphire as I was raiding the booth during IMATS, yes, I grabbed it immediately. I’m so glad I did because it’s such a lovely shade!
NYX Slim Eye Pencil Sapphire Swatches & Pictures
- √ Long-lasting
√ Easy to work with
√ Dramatic color
- Name: NYX Slim Eye Pencil Sapphire (a.k.a. NYX Eye/Eyebrow Pencil Sapphire)
- Amount: 0.04 oz. or 1g
- What I Paid: $2 CAD (with IMATS discount; retails for $2.50 – $4)
- Price Per Unit: $50/oz. or $2/g
- Other Colors Available: Black, Brown, Dark Brown, Light Brown, Silver, White, Cafe, Seafoam Green, Gold, Satin Blue, Emerald, Charcoal, Medium Brown, Taupe, Auburn, Purple, Pearl White, Gray, Lime Green, Baby Blue, Baby Pink, Copper, Yellow, 24 Karet, Electric Blue, Acid Green, Velvet, Moss, Teal, Black Brown, Bronze Glitter, Gold Glitter, Crystal Glitter, Lavender Glitter, Sky Glitter, Silver Glitter, Aqua Glitter, Green Glitter, Black Glitter
- Ingredients: Microcrystalline Wax, Caprylic, Castor Seed Oil, Talc, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera Wax, Euphobia Cerifera Wax, Silica, Pentaerithrityl Tetra-Di-t-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate (May contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Hydroxide Green, chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferro cyanide, Ultramarines, Carmine, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Maganese Violet, Aluminum Powder)
- Where to Buy: Cherry Culture, NYX CA website, NYX US website, some beauty stores, some Rexall stores (in Canada)
NYX Sapphire Slim Eye Pencil Review
Note: The ingredients I’ve included here are from the pencil itself. However, the ingredients listed on the Cherry Culture website are different. Please make sure to double check if you are allergic.
When I saw the color end of the NYX Eye Pencil Sapphire, I instantly wanted it because it looks like a dark blue with some shimmer to it. The true color, however, isn’t exactly that. It doesn’t have the shimmery finish, and it’s slightly bluer than the color end indicates.
But that’s OK! The shade is sooo gorgeous. If you have brown eyes, it’ll definitely make them pop! I usually like darker colors as liners, but I’m in love with Sapphire. This shade has a much more noticeable blue to it, and it is less on the black side. However, it’s still dark enough that it’s everyday wearable.
I’m extra careful when I use a pencil to line my eyes because sometimes they can be too hard. There’s no need to get out the lamp to melt the tip of this (something I used to do years back when I purchased cheap liners). The NYX Sapphire Eye Pencil glides on like a dream.
It’s easily blendable, too, so you can create looks with it by layering eye shadows. But the blue color is beautiful enough on its own that you can just wear the liner.
The down side to the NYX Sapphire Eye Pencil is that it melts – just a bit and not every time. I’ve tested it without a lid primer a few times, and I’ve seen slight blue smudges on the lower part of my eye. Bummer. Just make sure to wear a good primer (like Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer), and you’ll be set to enjoy this beautiful blue the whole day.
Final Verdict: 8.8/10
NYX Sapphire Slim Eye Pencil has a gorgeous, gorgeous color. For the price, it definitely outperforms many other more expensive brands, so I think it’s a must buy. You just need a good lid primer in your arsenal first.
What do you think of this blue? What’s your favorite shade of eyeliner?