Can’t believe it’s already December – the holidays are just around the corner!
So I decided to get festive. I looked through my makeup stash to find and review Christmasy colors.
This NYX Eyeshadow Trio (Perpetual) fit the bill nicely. Not only is there a red and green, but you also get a taupe to balance off your look and add depth in your crease or outer v.
The bright red in the palette intimidated me, but I’m determined to use it more often in eye looks because it’s really pretty and it’s not every day that you see a bold red eyeshadow in drugstore makeup.
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Perpetual Pictures
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Perpetual Swatches
(All swatches are on NC20 skin & with flash)
- √ Hypoallergenic
√ Provides dynamic color
- Name: NYX Eyeshadow Trio Perpetual
- Amount: 3 eye shadows x 1.8 grams
- What I Paid: $9.99 CAD
- NYX Eyeshadow Trios Available: Perpetual, Copacabana, Olive Grove, Lake Moss, Team Spirit, Ultra Chic, Ceramic, Shangra-La, Dandy, Aquamarine, Anti Diva, Casablanca, Guru, Serangeti, Hippie Chic, White/Grey/Black, Baby Pink/Barely There/Cotton Candy, Nude/Taupe/Dark Brown, Baby Blue/October Sky/Pacific, Baby Pink/Cotton Candy/Spring Flower, Purple/Deep Purple/Prune, Baby Blue/Pacific/Navy, Spring Leaf/Lime Green/Green Tea, Frosted Lilac/Pacific/Kiwi, Tropical/Yellow/Lime Green, Orange/Golden Orange/Peach, Gold/Rust/Walnut Bronze, Cherry/Cool Blue/Hot Pink, Highlight/Brown/Suede, Aloha/Mink Brown/Deep Bronze, Opal/Platinum Silver/Luster, Frosted Flake/Slate/Iced Mocha, Yellow Pearl/Antique Gold/Golden, Barely There/Champagne/Root Beer, White Pearl/Silver/Charcoal, Copper/Rust/Bronze, Sahara/Suede/Chocolate, Sweet Lagoon/Aqua/Ocean, Shimmer/Peach/Copper, Beanie/Red Bronze/Red Bean, Velvet Blue/Ocean Frost/Space, Platinum Pink/Salmon/Jazzy Bronze, Princess Pink/Flamenco/Violet, White/Tropical/Silver, Baby Pink/White Pearl/Baby Blue
- Where to Buy: Cherry Culture, NYX Canada website, NYX US website, Rexall, some Save on Foods & some drugstores
NYX Eyeshadow Trio Perpetual Review
NYX Cosmetics offers so many different eye-shadow shades and finishes – there’s truly something for everyone. And when you look at the NYX Eyeshadow Trios for sale, the myriad of color combinations will blow your mind!
I had such trouble choosing just one palette, so I ordered several off the official NYX Canada website a couple of years ago. Then when I discovered Cherry Culture sells NYX products for less, I was a lost cause and ordered a few more.
The NYX Perpetual palette caught my eye because I’m a huge fan of green and brown eye shadows and because there was a bold red included. At the time, I needed a red for an eye look I was doing to put the finishing touches on my Hallowe’en costume.
And since I’m determined not to let it sit around and collect dust, I’m going to challenge myself to use all the colors in this palette to come up with a holiday eye look this month. I’ve already used the brown and the green a few times, but the challenge will be to incorporate the red. (Psst! Fiona and I have some great holiday posts planned, so check back soon.)
The NYX Perpetual Eyeshadow Trio is very inexpensive, but don’t let the low price fool you – it contains quality eye shadows. They go on velvety smooth with no chunks or patches. Yes, there’s a little fallout, but these are pressed powder eye shadows, so that comes with the territory.
My only gripe is that if I don’t use a good primer (like the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Eden), the colors fade on me big time. So make sure you take the extra step because it’ll make a huge difference. You may also want to put a thin layer of an eye-shadow color base to intensify the hues.
The NYX eyeshadow trio packaging is simple – there’s a little clear window so you can see the 3 colors in their round pans. When you flip open the top, there’s a mirror on the inside of the lid.
You also get a double-ended sponge-tip applicator. Lots of people throw these away, but I like to use them to pack on the color before I blend with a brush. (If you do this, just make sure you swap out the applicators after a while so they don’t harbor bacteria over time.)
Now for a color breakdown:
- Red – Tomato red with fine gold glitter
- Green – Light spring grass green with yellowy-green fine glitter
- Brown – Matte muted autumnal taupe
Final Verdict: 7.5/10
NYX Eyeshadow Trio (Perpetual) is great if you want to test-drive a red shadow and don’t want to make a heavy makeup investment in a brand like MAC. Plus you get a pretty green and a standard brown so even if you decide that red isn’t for you, it’s not a total loss.
I recommend NYX trios because their color combinations give you some ideas for how to get more creative with your eye looks. And I also love how they’re what I’d call a Brand of the People since their products are inexpensive and have decent wear.
Would you rock red eye shadow? What’s the most daring color you’ve worn?