Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage is a new addition to the general 2014 collection.
From the minute I caught a glimpse, I knew that I’d have to wear it mattified with the new Nicole by OPI Matte Top Coat. (You’ll probably remember when I first shared a photo of it on my Instagram.)
Although I’m a fan of shiny polishes, I feel like this one looks especially neat and almost like mint candy when it’s mattified!
I wore this shade for several days because that’s just how much I adored it. By the end, it was looking really ratty, though, and it got scratched up because I’ve been quite busy these days, packing boxes, tidying up, and getting ready to move to my new home soon! 🙂
Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage Pictures
Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage
- Nicole by OPI Matte Top Coat (Provided by PR)
Natural Light Photos
- Minty green (Yes)
- Name: Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage
- Collection: Nicole by OPI 2014 general collection
- Press Release: Click here to see the Nicole by OPI 2014 Collection press release
- Colours Available in the Collection: Be Awesome, Sweet Surrender, Fabulous is My Middle Name, Always a Flirt!, Something About Spring, At Least I Pink So, I’ll Have the Salmon, Yoga-then-Yogurt, That’s Putting it Mild, Taupe of My Class, I Shop Mintage, Teal Me Something New, Oh That’s Just Grape!, The Blue is So You! & Emerald Empowered
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR.)
- Where to Buy: Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart Canada, Jean Coutu, Loblaw, London Drug & other places that Nicole by OPI are sold.
Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage Review
As you can see, Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage is minty, just as the name would suggest. It has a cool personality, but it doesn’t feel too icy – just fresh!
I love how it makes nails stand out, but it’s certainly not a loud shade. It has a modern and youthful appearance that can also look sophisticated without being stuffy or too traditional.
Mint greens were very trendy a few years ago, and when I first tried them, some were too pale and drew out the redness in my hands too much. With Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage, I didn’t seem to have that problem. I think it’s because the green is more saturated, and so it’s more flattering on my skin tone.
Originally, Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage has a standard, shiny finish, which looks very pretty! However, I wanted to switch it up and use my Nicole by OPI Matte Top Coat to give it a different appearance. I absolutely loved the mattified look!
Application & Formula
Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage was a bit streaky with the first medium coat I used. Then, with a second, I was able to even everything out to my liking.
If you tend to paint thin coats, you’ll probably need 3. But because I used medium coats, I got away with using 2. (It’s probably better to do the thin coats instead because you’ll greatly reduce your chances of getting air bubbles.)
Final Verdict: 9.5/10
Some minty greens are hard for me to pull off, but this one was a cinch! I loved this manicure so much, and the mattified ‘mint candy effect’ was totally up my alley!
If you wear this, you may want to start off with it shiny (the traditional way) and then after a couple of days, put a layer of the Nicole by OPI Matte Top Coat over it to give it a new look. In this way, you can enjoy the best of both worlds!
How often do you mattify your manicure? Are there some polishes that you enjoy mattifying more than others? Do you like Nicole by OPI I Shop Mintage mattified, or did you prefer that it was shown shiny (with its original finish)?