Now that December is here, I’m getting more into the festive spirit with red nail polishes.
Well, I’ve worn several already, but I decided to blog about them this month, so it’s more timely. You can expect more holiday shades coming soon!
Are you getting your home all ready for the holidays? Or are you planning to pack your bags and head somewhere to visit family and friends?
I’ll be visiting my mom during the Christmas week, and I’ve taken time off work so that we can do more things during the day.
Since I usually just visit her once a week, it’s nice that I’ll be able to spend a longer time and consecutive days with her.
In today’s post, I’m showcasing China Glaze Elfin’ Around from the Happy HoliGlaze Collection, which is an interesting twist on the typical Christmas reds on the market during this time of year. It’s actually a reddish orange, but it can read red when you look at it solo and in some lighting conditions. (When I review traditional reds later this week, you’ll really be able to see the difference!)
China Glaze Elfin’ Around Pictures
China Glaze Elfin’ Around Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of China Glaze Elfin’ Around
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Red rust with an aluminum-like mirror finish (Yes)
- Name: China Glaze Elfin’ Around
- Collection: China Glaze Happy HoliGlaze Collection 2013
- Press Release: Click here to see the China Glaze Happy HoliGlaze Collection press release
- Colours Available in the Collection: There’s Snow One Like You, Elfin’ Around, Just Be-Claws, Santa Red My List, Put a Bow on It, Be Merry, Be Bright, All Wrapped Up, Your Present Required, So Blue Without You, Bells Will Be Blinging, Mingle with Kringle, This Is Tree-mendous, Travel in Colour (top coat)
- Amount: 14 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by China Glaze.)
- Where to Buy: NailPolishCanada, Head2Toe, Nailsupplies, 8ty8Beauty & Sally Beauty Supply stores
China Glaze Elfin’ Around Review
This was a refreshing change for me because unlike the traditional Christmas reds, Elfin’ Around by China Glaze has a tinge of red, but I see more orange in it, which sets it apart. (In real life, the orange is more apparent, but the camera seemed to pick up more on the red.)
If you’re a lover of reddish-orange polishes, I can see you really loving this, or if you’re tired of the typical holiday shades, you’ll really appreciate something a little different. (It’s nice that China Glaze thought out of the box while still being in the holiday box – hehe!)
The finish of Elfin’ Around by China Glaze is very shimmery like a metallic foil. It reflects the light beautifully and has a glowy look to it, which is cool.
Application & Formula
Application was a total breeze with this one. To get full and even coverage, you just need 2 coats, and each coat goes on smoothly and pigmented. It was a dream to paint with!
Final Verdict: 7.5/10
Had I been a huge orange lover, I’d probably give this shade a higher Final Verdict score, however, I was in the holiday mood, and in December, I actually crave typical reds more than I do the rest of the year.
On my skin tone, I didn’t find this shade of orange-red to pop as much as a traditional red, but I can see if you have a different skin tone, it might really look like a total knockout! 🙂
This week, I’ll be showing you a couple of reds, so stay tuned. When you see the reds after China Glaze Elfin’ Around, by comparison, you’ll really be able to see how this one’s orange.
Would you give this orange-red a chance this Christmas? Are you a fan or orange? What was your favourite orange that you wore this year?