It’s a rare thing when I feel the itch to wear a red nail polish. And usually I ‘scratch’ the itch near Christmas because it’s festive.
This time, I couldn’t hold back.
I scratched the itch with OPI The Color of Minnie from the limited-edition OPI Vintage Minnie Mouse Collection that officially drops in June.
When I first glanced at the bottle, I thought this would be a standard red creme polish, but upon closer inspection, it whispered a secret.
Allow me to go into further detail about this polish.
OPI The Color of Minnie Pictures
OPI The Color of Minnie Swatches
All swatches have:
- Seche Clear Crystal Clear Base Coat
- 3 coats of OPI The Color of Minnie
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Natural Light Photos
- Name: OPI The Color of Minnie
- Collection: OPI Vintage Minnie Mouse Collection
- Press Release: Click here to see the OPI Vintage Minnie Mouse Collection press release
- Colours Available in the Collection: The Color of Minnie, Nothin’ Mousie ‘Bout It, I’m All Ears & If You Moust You Moust
- Amount: 15 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- What I Paid: Nothing! (This was provided by PR. Retails for $9.95 CAD.)
- Where to Buy: Trade Secrets & select spas & salons (Will be officially released in June, but you may be able to find it earlier.)
OPI The Color of Minnie Review
The Color of Minnie by OPI is what I would describe as a tomato red because it looks like an orange-based red rather than a stop-sign kind of red. For that reason, I don’t feel like this colour pops as much on my skin tone as the latter kind.
There’s extremely subtle fine pink shimmer running throughout. I feel like this also mutes the intensity of this red a bit. Most times when you’re wearing it, you may not really even notice the pink, but sometimes it comes through.
To me, this polish looks like it has a slight pearly finish because when you look closely, you can see a few brushstrokes – nothing major, though.
Have you ever had ribbon candy? You know how it’s a bit pearly? This polish reminds me exactly of that!
Application & Formula
While the polish flowed effortlessly onto the nail and was easy to control, the formula was on the sheer side. Even with 3 coats, my manicure still had VNL (Visible Nail Line). It didn’t bother me too much, but I thought I should mention it because it could be a pet peeve for others.
Perhaps you can add 4 coats or layer this polish, but I didn’t bother going the extra mile because, well, the colour didn’t excite me. For colours that are just ‘okay’, I rarely put in the extra effort. Lazzzzyyy. 😛
Final Verdict: 5.5/10
The Color of Minnie by OPI is nice, but it’s very forgettable. I’m not the biggest fan of red, pearly nail polishes, especially when they show VNL after 3 coats.
If you’re a fan of red nail polish, you might like it, but I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re interested in a red that makes some waves. When I wear red, I like it to be loud and sexy. This one is subdued and demure. It just ain’t my thang.
What sorts of reds do you sport the most? What’s the sexiest polish you’ve worn? Do you think that this polish truly represents the colour of Minnie Mouse?