You’ll remember that a few days ago, I shared a fishtail braid nail-art tutorial with step-by-step instructions and photos. It featured dark colours.
This time, I decided to try Summery Fishtail Braid Nails with a brighter palette.
Originally I wanted to use green, pink, and silver, but I sadly couldn’t find my bottle of China Glaze Millennium! *Sniff sniff* So, I used white instead because it would provide some contrast.
In this post, I’ll show you more photos of this manicure. But, but more importantly, I’ll share some extra tips and tricks that I learned while doing this a second time around so that your attempt will be smooth sailing.
Summery Fishtail Braid Nails Swatches
All swatches have:
- Nubar Foundation Base Coat
- 3 coats of Orly Fresh (Provided by BeautyStopOnline)
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Hope you enjoyed this different colour combination. It really reminds me of summer, but I can see how it could look spring-ish, too.
For Christmas, you could easily use green, white, and red for a festive look. It would be an interesting twist on candy-cane nails.
P.S. If you haven’t seen my step-by-step Fishtail Braid Tutorial, go check it out. You’ll want to try it out in tons of different colour combos!
Additional Tips for Creating Fishtail Braid Nails
- Pigmented Polish: I recommend using more pigmented polishes so that you won’t have to do 2 coats of every single stripe.
- Thicker Stripes: I used thinner stripes here, and it takes a significantly longer time to complete the manicure since you have to paint more stripes per nail. Also, the more stripes there are, that means more polish is overlapping. This leads to the lacquer on your nails being very thick. I suggest using thicker lines like in my tutorial or even thicker than that.
- Colours on Your Tips: Although no manicure is perfect, try to keep the lines as even as possible so that you end up with the same 2 colours in the tips of all your nails (except your thumbs – you may need more stripes on those).
Random Note: After wearing this manicure, I trimmed my nails. Haha, they start to look wonky when they grow long.
How long have you ever grown your nails? Will you be getting on board the fishtail braid trend yet? Do you like this brighter colour combination? (I think this one pops more, but I like the richness of the other version I did.)