Send a ‘text message’ with your nails when wearing Essie Tribal Text-styles!
Hailing from the Summer 2016 Collection, Essie Tribal Text-styles brings out your dark (and sparkly) side. You’ll want to dip your claws into this moody superstar!
This shade got me excited because it’s not every day that a mainstream nail-polish company strays from the longtime convention of summer collections favouring bright hues!
For as long as I can remember, I haven’t limited myself to ‘seasonally appropriate’ shades because I believe that self-expression runs the gamut of colours. Wear what makes you happy!
In scorching summers, I have worn a jet-black manicure, and in the dead of winter, I busted out my most flamboyant neons without batting an eyelash.
That’s why it was so incredible to see Essie encourage fellow nail junkies to embrace any colour any time! There are no nail rules etched in stone, and I urge you all to create your own ‘rules’ that are guided by your love of colour and passion for experimentation.
In my swatches later in this post, you’ll be able to see how brilliantly this polish sparkles, especially in the sunlight! In person, it’s even more mesmerizing, as they dance on your nails like tap shoes burning a hole in the ground!
Essie Tribal Text-styles Pictures
Essie Tribal Text-styles Swatches
All swatches have:
- OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener – Original version (Used as a base coat)
- 2 coats of Essie Tribal Text-styles
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
Artificial Light Photos
- Black (Yes)
- Name: Essie Tribal Text-styles
- Collection: Essie Summer 2016 Collection
- Press Release: Click here to see the official Essie Summer 2016 Collection press release!
- Quick Look: Click here to see my Essie Summer 2016 Collection swatches!
- Colours Available in the Collection: Viva Antigua!, Tribal Text-styles, Loot the Booty, Hiking Heels, Berried Treasures & Coconut Cove
- Amount: 13.5 mL (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Retail Price: $9.99 CAD
- Disclosure: This post contains a press sample provided by PR.
- Where to Buy: Trade Secrets, Nail Polish Canada, salons, drugstores & select beauty destinations (Official launch date: May 17, 2016)
Essie Tribal Text-styles Review
Tribal Text-styles by Essie has a heart of darkness that lends a mysterious and striking quality to your manicure.
I love wearing black nail polishes like this because they create an interesting contrast against my skin tone with no shortage of drama!
Although a solid black manicure can look fierce and gothic, I must say that the sparkly finish of Tribal Text-styles by Essie adds a touch of magic.
Especially in my photos taken in sunlight, you can see how much it twinkles. In person, it’s even more mesmerizing, as the sparkles dance on your nails like its tap shoes are burning a hole in the ground.
Application & Formula
Pigmented and smooth, Essie Tribal Text-styles goes on without a hitch! Even if you’re new to painting your nails, this formula is one of the easier ones to paint with, and I only needed two coats to get fully opaque coverage.
This Essie nail polish doesn’t contain Formaldehyde, Toluene, or DBP.
Final Verdict: 9.5/10
Not only do I love the colour, finish, and ease of application, but I’m a fan of what this polish represents in a summer collection! I’m so happy to see a mainstream brand promoting black lacquer in the summer, and I’m looking forward to seeing what else is up Essie’s sleeve!
Were you surprised to see a black nail polish in a summer collection? What else do you think is up Essie’s sleeve for their future collections?